How to find the best Australian online casino?
You can get yourself started by taking a look at some of the bonser Australian online casinos we are here to recommend to you. The casino reviews we listed below have been given a thorough going over by our online gambling experts, and they have deemed them to be the very best available. Take a thorough look at any casino review, choose the best Australia’s online casino you like the look of the most, deposit your Aussie dollars and get playing those pokies!
Online Gambling in Australia
People in Australia know that online gambling is not as easy for them as it is in countless other countries across the globe. There are no online casinos in Australia – not one, nada, nein. That’s because the rule-makers in Australia have declared it illegal to operate an online casino within the country.
That does not, though, mean that online gambling at casinos is illegal in Australia – it’s just that Aussie players have to find online casinos that operate legally outside of Australia and that accept Australian players – and we are here to help you do just that!
Facts and Figures
- There are only thirteen casinos in Australia, four of which are in Queensland and two apiece in the Northern Territory and Tasmania
- The average spend per annum on real-world gambling in Australia is around $25,000,000,000. Around half of that is spend via gaming machines, and one fifth at real world casinos
- The participation percentage of people who gamble in Australia at least once per year is, at 80 percent, the highest participation rate in the world.
- On average people in Australia spend an incredible $1,200 each on gambling. This, however, does not include online gambling (as there are no figures available) so the average spend in reality is probably much higher.
- It’s estimated that Australians spend $8 billion per year at online casinos.
- How to find the best Australian online casino?
- Online Gambling in Australia
- Find the best casino bonuses
- How we review online casinos in Australia
- What are the types of casino games I can play at Australian gambling sites?
- The best software providers for Australian casinos
- How does responsible gambling work in Australia?
- Our top tips for playing casinos online
- Important Links
Online casinos that are legal and accept Aussie players
- Are you looking for the best online casino in Australia?
- Want to keep yourself safe and legal online when you play?
- Do you want to know which are the best pokies at legal Aussie casinos?
Gambling is as popular in Australia today as it always has been. Sports betting is especially popular, and sports bettors in Oz are free to bet on sports at any one of a number of licensed Australian bookies (although live betting is still a no-no).
The situation with online casinos in Australia is completely different, though. In 2017, the Australian authorities chose to pass a law that made it illegal to run an online casino business in Australia that accepts Australian players. Sports betting sites are deemed okay, but such sites have to adhere to many very strict rules so that they keep themselves legal and free of the threat of fines or worse.
So, players from Australia can only play at online casinos that are run and licensed in overseas territories … but an Aussie casino player’s issues do not stop there! Some operators think that the rules regarding Australian casino gambling are too strict (it is illegal for an online casino to advertise bonuses and loyalty schemes, for example) so they don’t allow any online casino players to sign up for their site. It can also be difficult for Australian players to find decent bonuses, welcome offers and other promotional deals because of this advertising ban.
That’s the bad news. The good news is that we are here to help enhance your playing experience, as we are the true experts in all things casino and slots.
|🥇 #1 AU Casino Online||National|
|🔝 No Deposit Bonus||Bitstarz|
|⏩ New minimum deposit casino||Spin Samurai|
|🎰 #1 Aus site to play roulette||Fair Go Casino|
|🔥 Best VIP Bonus||True Blue Casino|
|🆓 Legal casino with free spins||Casinochan|
|🎁 Top real money casino||Roo Casino|
|💸 Reliable casino with bonus codes||Playamo|
|💰 Best Payout Casino||King Billy|
|🤑 Trustworthy site to play pokies online||Raging Bull Casino|
- Want to learn about promotions and no deposit bonuses available to Aussie players?
- Need to know how to make sure you only play at properly licensed online casinos?
- Want to understand more about the best slots and casino games you can play?
Keep on reading if you want to become as big an expert on Australian live casinos as us!
Find the best casino bonuses
As has been mentioned before, casinos are not allowed to advertise their bonuses and promotions to people in Australia. They actually cannot advertise their services at all, which why so many online casinos do not bother with the Australian market.
So, if you are in Australia trying to find the best bonuses, it can seem like a completely impossible task. Your best policy is to find an online casino that you really like the look of (the ones we have listed above are all amazing in one way or another) and then sign up. Once you have completed your registration you will be able to find the bonuses that are available to you – and we can bet that you are sure to be pleased.
Here are a few of the most common types of bonuses to be found at the best online casinos for Australian players.
You do not have to have a degree in casinology in order to work out what is meant by ‘free spins’. This kind of offer gives you a number of free spins on slots. The deal may be available for all pokies at the site offering it, or on a tight selection of pokies. The most common deal is an offer of free spins on a specific pokie. If you sign on the dotted line of this offer, you will find a number of free spins available for you when you open up your account.
In an ideal world it would be nice if you could just play your free spins and then withdraw any winnings you make from them. Sadly, in the real online casino world winnings are only available once you have worked your way through what are known as ‘wagering requirements’. We will explain what is meant by that later on this page, as it usually applies to all kinds of casino bonuses.
Many casinos (at least the ones that don’t offer you free spins) want to give you something as a ‘thank you’ when you open an account with them. They usually do this by offering to match the first deposit that you make at their site with bonus money. For example, if an offer says ‘100% match up to $100’, then if you were to deposit $50 you would get $50 in bonus cash. If you were to deposit $200 then you would only get $100 in bonus cash as you have breached the $100 threshold.
Other offers could be a ‘50% match’ or a ‘200% match’. As with your free spins winnings, you cannot simple withdraw your bonus cash and go off and spend it elsewhere. You can only use it to wager. You will also need to fulfil wagering requirements, as will be discussed later.
No Deposit Bonus
A no deposit bonus is the nearest thing you will ever get at any online casino to free money. The best thing about a no deposit bonus is that you do not have to make a deposit in order to receive it. Once you have completed your sign up at a site your bonus money is ready and waiting for you.
It would be a good thing if no deposit bonuses were common, but sadly you will not find that to be the case as they are very rarely offered. In addition, no deposit bonuses tend to be small and come with unfriendly wagering conditions. They shouldn’t be dismissed out of hand, though, as you are genuinely getting something for nothing.
Welcome Bonus: Bonus up to $2.000 + 180 free spins
BitStarz gives you a no-deposit bonus of 20 free spins as soon as you create a new gaming account. You don’t have to make any deposit or enter any bonus code to claim this bonus.
Wager Free Bonus
This is something that is becoming more and more common. Casinos that want to gain an instant good rapport with their customers will offer a wager free bonus. Commonly, this is a free spins bonus in which you receive a limited number of free spins. You may also find the odd deposit-based wager free bonus dotted here and there about the internet, if you look hard enough.
As you might have guessed, the stand-out aspect of a wager free bonus is that it comes without wagering. Any winnings from your free spins or your deposit bonus come without the need to do any wagering. You can spend your winnings at the casino (which is what the casino hopes) or you can withdraw them and spend them elsewhere.
High Roller or VIP Bonus
These types of bonuses are not typically ‘on offer’ at online casinos. They are the type of bonus that you have to ask the casino for. If you are willing to deposit a high amount of money, then you may be able to persuade the casino to give you a bonus.
For example, when we mentioned the deposit bonus above, the threshold itself was capped at $100. You could contact the casino and say that you are willing to make a deposit of $500 and ask them what sort of bonus they’d be willing to offer. They could – for example – offer you a 50% bonus for a $500 deposit, giving you $250 extra to play with in bonus cash.
VIP or high roller bonuses can still come with wagering requirements, and indeed they usually do. Note that casinos hope to attract casino and slots players from Australia will never advertise their high roller bonuses, so if you are looking for some bonus action, you will have to approach the casino(s) independently.
A cashback bonus can help you to unburden yourself of the pain from a heavy losing streak. If a casino has an offer of ‘10% cashback’, then when it comes to end of the week, the casino will pay you back ten percent of all the losses that you accrued during the last seven days.
Before you get too excited about getting ten percent of your losses back, we need to explain to you that most of the time, cashback money is paid as bonus cash. This is of course means that you will have to jump through the hoops of wagering requirements before you can cash out.
Many online casinos now run casino tournaments, or slots tournaments as they often known. A specific version of a specific game is selected, and a time period established. During this time period, this game is monitored and the winnings of anyone who opted-in to the tournament is recorded.
Once the time period is up, the person who won the most while playing that game is declared the winner of the tournament and is usually awarded a cash prize. The number of prizes extends to people who did well in the tournament as well – sometimes the top twenty players or the top fifty players get something for their efforts.
You are of course expecting us to tell you that prizes for winning or placing high in a casino or slots tournament are paid as bonus cash. Well, for once we have good news – typically, casino tournament prizes are paid as genuine cash, with no wagering!
We have mentioned wagering several times while discussing bonuses, so now here is our explanation of how it works.
Say that it is declared in the T&Cs of a bonus that wagering of 35 x bonus and deposit is required. If the bonus you acquire is worth $100, then your wagering is 35 x $100 (bonus) + $100 deposit. This works out at $7,000.
You may immediately be asking yourself the question, what is the point of spending $7,000 in order to obtain a $100 bonus? This confuses many people – $7,000 is the amount you need to wager and not spend. For example, you could play 700 hands of blackjack at $10 per hand. You would not lose all 700 hands and indeed, you could end up with more money than you started with. As long as you play 700 hands at $10 per hand, then you have met your wagering conditions.
Also within an offer’s T&Cs you may find something called ‘game contributions’. This the contribution a specific type of game (or, sometimes, a specific game) makes towards wagering. Most slots contribute 100%, so if your wagering is $100, then one hundred $1 spins on a slot will suffice.
You may find that a casino game like blackjack only allows a 10% contribution. If you bet $10 on a game of blackjack, then only 10% ($1) will contribute towards wagering. If you started with $100 of wagering to go and play a $10 hand of blackjack with a 10% contribution, then after the hand you would still have $99 of wagering to go.
This is why you should always check the T&Cs of any bonus offer before you commit. Casinos are not trying to swindle you when it comes to a bonus, but if you fail to take game contributions and other common T&Cs factors such as winning limits into consideration, then you might not get exactly what you thought you were getting.
How we review online casinos in Australia
We take our role seriously as we only want to suggest the very best quality online casinos for Aussie players, as we want to maintain our excellent reputation. That’s why we go through a very thorough evaluation process before we decide which casinos as the best, and which should be avoided at all costs.
In total, we evaluate over twenty different factors when it comes to our evaluation process. Below you will find six of the most important aspects we really scrutinise when it comes to making our final evaluations.
- Security & Fairness – as Aussie-friendly casinos operate via the internet, we expect to see high levels of cyber-security in place. ALL data that passes to a casino and is sent by it MUST be encrypted, and by industry-high encryption standards. In addition, all games provided by the site must have been independently ratified for acceptable levels of randomness. In short, you will find ZERO rogue casinos EVER recommended by us.
- Licensing – all casinos that accept Australia-based players must, by law, possess a recognised licence from a proper licensing board. We do prefer casinos that have licensing from top-tier licence providers – the UKGC, and the boards in Malta, Gibraltar and Alderney. Licences from second-tier providers such as Curaçao and Kahnawake are acceptable too.
- Banking Options – getting money into a casino account can be a problem for people in Australia, but not as much as it is in other jurisdictions such as the US. Some banks refuse to accept payments to online gambling sites, which is why it is important that the best sites offer a number of different payment gateways, including POLi, Paysafecard and even cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin.
- Withdrawal Speeds – casinos love you to give them money, but they can often drag their feet when it comes processing your withdrawals, with the worst casinos taking longer than a week, or not honouring your withdrawal requests unless you message them repeatedly. Sites that get your money to you at speed get the most gold stars from us.
- Bonuses & Free Spins – Australian casino players do have an issue finding out about bonuses and frees spins as online gambling sites are not allowed to advertise such offers to them. We therefore do the homework and research for you so you don’t have to, and we recommend Australia’s top online casino sites with great deals and put them to the top of our list.
- Popular Software Providers – An online casino lives and dies by the quality of its games. We expect to see at the best online casinos games and pokies from the leading providers in the business – names such as NetEnt, Microgaming, Novomatic, Playtech and IGT. A good variety of games is important too, not just dozens of slots with the odd casino game thrown in.
What are the types of casino games I can play at Australian gambling sites?
There are several types of casino options available at the best online casinos in Australia, so allow us to explain a little about the most common games.
- Free Pokies – some casinos will allow you to play pokies for free. The greatest aspect of this is that you get to enjoy the best pokies without paying anything! The downside is … you won’t win anything!
- Real Money Pokies– if you’ve played online pokies for free you’ve probably developed an itching for some real money play. ALL online casinos available to people in Australia have plenty of real money pokies, and some with jackpots in excess of $1 million!
- Roulette– roulette is another casino game that should be found at all online casino sites, except those that advertise themselves as online pokies sites. Choose your numbers, place your bets and wait until that tiny ball stops spinning!
- Blackjack– most online casino sites for Australians will have blackjack as an option. Hint: if you want to max out your chances of winning at blackjack, learn about something called ‘perfect strategy’.
- Live Casino – around since about 2015, live casinos are TV-style studios that are decked out to look live real-world casinos. You control your decision-making via software, but all the casino action is performed by live croupiers and fed back to you via a video feed.
- Other casino games – other casino games you are likely to find in abundance (or not) at online casinos include casino poker, baccarat, video poker, craps, sic bo, scratchies, bingo and even virtual sports!
The best software providers for Australian casinos
We’ve already mentioned a few of the best software providers that provide games for aussie online casinos. Here is a little bit more information about them, and some other names that are always pleasing to see.
- Novomatic – This company has a massive reputation and a long history. One of the biggest employers in Austria, they make both real-world pokie machines plus online pokies too. Some of their best games include Book of Ra Deluxe, Lucky Lady’s Charm and Sizzling Hot.
- Microgaming – There is no company more experienced in the casino realm than Microgaming. This company has been around since 1994, and they are famed for their range of progressive jackpot pokies which includes Mega Moolah, Major Millions and King Cashalot.
- Aristocrat – Aristocrat are one of the most famous names in terms of Australian pokies, both real world and online. Created by Len Ainsworth in 1953, the company is now a true global enterprise. Their most famous pokies include Raid: Shadow Legends, Buffalo Gold, Dragon Link, King of the Nile, More More Chilli and Aztec Goddess.
- Betsoft – One the true innovators in the realm of online pokies, Betsoft gained everyone’s attention in the 2015-2017 period with the release of dozens of ‘3D’ pokies which had graphics that would take your breath away. Top Betsoft games include Pinocchio, Good Girl Bad Girl and The Tipsy Tourist.
- NetEnt – This Swedish firm are regarded by many as the best in the business. They set the slotting world on fire in 2015 when they released the ground-breaking Gonzo’s Quest. This creative company has since followed Gonzo up with plenty of classics like Starbust and Aloha! Cluster Pays.
- IGT – IGT is to the US what Aristocrat is to Australia. A company with a long and successful history, the original version of IGT was created in 1975 and invaded real world casinos with their popular video poker cabinets. They’ve made countless top pokies so, including Cleopatra, Balloonies and Silent Movie.
- WMS – If a slot in the US is not made by IGT, then it has probably made by WMS. Although not as prolific as they used to be, WMS are still the kings of pokies (or slots as they are called in the US) in many areas of the world. Leading WMS pokies include Raging Rhino, Kronos and Montezuma.
How does responsible gambling work in Australia?
Online casinos available to players in Australia must take steps that are designed to protect their players. This includes checks to see if players are about the legal age of gambling, which in Australia is between 18 and 21, depending upon the state. Casinos also have a moral obligation to keep a close eye on their player’s accounts, and to identify patterns of play that exhibit signs of problematic gambling.
Australian legislators take online gambling player protection extremely seriously. This is why online casinos are not allowed to advertise, nor mention any kinds of enticements like free spins and welcome bonuses.
At the end of the day though, it is up to the player to maintain levels of responsible gambling. A player should never gamble with money they cannot afford to lose, and should never chase losses. Gambling should also never overtake other forms of entertainment that a player previously found to be of importance.
Our top tips for playing casinos online
First and foremost gambling should be entertaining. Winning money is exciting – that cannot be denied – but if you feel yourself becoming more focused on winning than having an enjoyable time, then you perhaps need to take a break.
How to find a fast payout AU casino
It would great if AU casinos were as swift to pay out your money as they are to take it. Many poor casinos can take over a week to give you your rightful winnings, and some drag their heels so much you have to send them multiple emails.
Our tip is to read the information about specific casinos as presented by us. We will tell you how long a specific casino takes to pay out, and whether we feel the timeframes are acceptable.
How to find out if an online casino is legal to play at
That’s an easy one – check the casino’s licence. You will usually find licensing details presented towards the foot of the casino’s landing page. Don’t just stop there though – you can easily check online with a licence issuing board to see if a casino’s licence is legit.
If there seems anything even slightly dodgy about a casino’s licence you should avoid it like the plague.
How to find fresh and new casino bonus codes
This is indeed a problem for Australian online casino players, as casinos are not allowed to advertise their bonuses to Aussies. Our tip is again – stick with us and the information we present about bonuses throughout our site. Check back on a regular basis to see if any new and interesting bonuses, promotions and codes have been uncovered by us.
How to play online casino safely?
How to safe stay playing online? As we have already said, make sure that any online casino you play at has the proper licensing. Also, make sure that any casino you use has encryption technologies in place. This is always important if you are transmitting sensitive information online.
Make sure too you follow the responsible gambling guidelines that we have already discussed.
Read the T&Cs!
Okay, so no one like to read the terms and conditions of anything, but reading through the T&Cs at an online casino just once will reassure you about the validity of any casino. What if you win $100,000 on a pokie yet the T&Cs of the casino say the maximum payout from them is $20,000? If you read through the T&Cs you will be made aware of any such ‘dodgy’ tricks and you can decide whether to play at the casino in question or not!
Okay, so you probably have dozens of questions still about playing at online casinos in Australia. We hope that our exclusive guide has managed to answer most of your queries, but for added value we’ve come up with a range of questions that we think are the ones most commonly asked about online casinos in Oz. Perhaps a pertinent query that has been burning your brain is answered here.
Which is the best online casino in Australia in 2022?
Is it safe for Australians to play at Non-Australian gambling site?
It is, as long as the particular site has a recognised gambling licence from a top-tier licensing authority like the ones in the UK, Malta, Gibraltar and Alderney. Curaçao and Kahnawake are acceptable too.
What are the best online casinos with bonuses in 2022?
Is it legitimate & legal for Aussie to play at an online casino outside Australia?
Yes, as long as the casino has a recognised licence.
How can I make a deposit and withdraw winnings from an international-regulated casino?
This can be a problem, as some banks will not allow payments to or from online casino sites. The ideal solution is to use POLi, or another eWallet such as PayPal, Skrill or Neteller. BTC & cryptocurrencies are another possibility.
What are the most popular payment methods for Australians in 2022?
Most people use credit cards to make payments at casinos. Other popular methods include POLi, BPAY, Bitcoin & other cryptocurrencies, PayPal, Skrill, Neteller, Paysafecard, UPayCard and Neosurf.
Can I use Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies to deposit and withdraw winnings?
You can, as long as the casino accepts cryptocurrency payments.
What is the age limit for online gambling in Australia?
That varies by state but in the majority of them it is 18.
Can I use AUD to play for real money at online casinos?
Most internet casinos that accept players from Australia will allow you to bet using Australian dollars.
Are the biggest casino bonuses usually the best?
No. The amount of the bonus is immaterial. The most important aspect of any bonus is the wagering. A $100 bonus with 30x wagering is much better than a $1,000 bonus with 70x wagering. It is more beneficial to wager $3,000 than $70,000, and you are more likely to have some money left when your wagering has been completed.
Why casinos offer free spins?
As a ‘thank you’ for signing up with them and as a persuasion tactic to actually get you to sign up with them. Free spins come with wagering requirements that lowers the risk of the casino losing money every time they give out free spins.
What happens if I win a jackpot?
Usually, the online casino will contact you. They may offer you a reduced lump sum, or a series of payments over the coming months. Most casinos will insist on paying jackpots via monthly payments (and it is written into their T&Cs).
What taxes should I pay on my casino winnings in Australia?
None! Online gambling in Australia is seen as a recreational activity and is free from taxation.
How much can I win gambling online?
There is no guarantee that you will win anything when gambling online, just like buying a lottery ticket will not guarantee you will win anything. You could win gambling online though – the biggest win by an Australian player is thought to be $6.9 million won by an anonymous player when playing at the Arabian Night online casino back in 2005.
Are online casinos provably fair?
If the casino has games from major suppliers such as Novomatic, IGT and Microgaming then you do not have to worry about fairness. Such games have to be proven as fair by independent ratification bodies before they are released. Companies would risk massive fines if their games are proven to be ‘rigged’ in any way.
Here are some important links that will help you get the most out of your online gambling if you are a resident of Australia.
- Australian Capital Territory – The ACT Gambling and Racing Commission
- New South Wales – Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing
- Northern Territory – Licensing Commission
- Queensland – Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation
- South Australia – The Independent Gambling Authority
- Tasmania – Tasmanian Gaming Commission
- Victoria – Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation
- Western Australia – Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor
- Gambling Helpline – www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/
- Gambler’s Help – gamblershelp.com.au/get-help/
- Australian Gambling Research Centre – aifs.gov.au/agrc/
We hope you gotten a lot out of our complete guide to online casinos and online gambling in Australia, and we wish you the best of luck with all your gambling endeavours. Remember to bookmark this site and revisit as we will be constantly updating it with the latest casinos that accept AU players, the best bonus deals and tips and tricks to get the most from your online slots and casino game playing.
With our help, you’ll never be a few stubbies short of a six-pack when it comes to online casinos, that’s for sure!